Connect with us

Sports

David Warner’s Perspective On The Future Of Trans-Tasman Cricket

Published

on

David Warner's Perspective On The Future Of Trans-Tasman Cricket

Veteran Australian opener David Warner has called for more regular cricket tournaments between Australia and New Zealand.

Warner believes the future of cricket relies on continuing the strong trans-Tasman rivalry.

The two nations are currently facing off in a T20 series for the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy. This will be 37-year-old Warner’s last bilateral series for Australia before he retires from international cricket after the T20 World Cup later this year.

Speaking ahead of the series in Wellington, Warner said he feels Australia does not tour New Zealand frequently enough anymore. He pointed out that New Zealand has come over to Australia “six or seven times” since he last played in New Zealand back in 2010.

“Definitely, Australia could come over here more,” Warner said. “With our rivalry and being close neighbours, it just fits.”

According to Warner, keeping this historic rivalry alive with regular tournaments is crucial for the interest and growth of cricket in both countries. Fans on both sides are always passionate when Australia and New Zealand meet on the cricket field.

Warner has seen first-hand the passion Kiwi crowds have, even recalling some unsavoury verbal abuse directed his way during the 2016 tour. But he believes engaging this passion through more visits is vital.

The opening batsman has experienced cricket in New Zealand from the very small scale to the very large.

When he first toured New Zealand in 2010 after breaking into the Australian team, Warner played some matches domestically for the Northern Knights. This included a trip to Oamaru, a quiet town of just 14,000 people on the South Island.

“I literally thought it was a ghost town. I was walking down the street. It was a Saturday… there was just no one there,” Warner said.

“We legitimately played on a football field, it was quite crazy because, coming from Australia, it’d be like playing on a rugby league field.”

In contrast, this T20 series will conclude with matches at a packed Eden Park, attracting huge crowds due to the rivalry.

Warner believes it is a shame the two teams do not meet more often. Previously, the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy was only on the line when they played ODIs.

But the cricket administrations in both countries have recently agreed to expand it to T20 contests as well. This will give the trophy named after Australian legends Greg Chappell and Ian Chappell, and New Zealand great Sir Richard Hadlee, more exposure.

The families of Chappell and Hadlee have also welcomed the change to ensure the trophy remains relevant.

Warner will finish his illustrious career for Australia at the T20 World Cup later this year. But he hopes Cricket Australia will schedule more regular tours to New Zealand going forward.

The veteran wants young Australian players of the future to be able to enjoy the same intense rivalry he has had the privilege to experience during his career.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

AFL won’t appeal tribunal call on Charlie Cameron

Published

on

AFL won’t appeal tribunal call on Charlie Cameron

This week, the AFL has decided not to appeal the tribunal’s decision to downgrade Charlie Cameron’s rough conduct suspension to a fine. Despite considering a one-match ban as the appropriate sanction, the league has accepted the tribunal’s ruling.

On Tuesday night, the Brisbane Lions star contested his one-match suspension for a dumping tackle on Melbourne’s Jake Lever at the MCG the previous week. The tribunal dismissed Cameron’s argument that the impact of the incident should have been graded as “low” instead of “medium.”

However, the tribunal, chaired by Jeff Gleeson, found exceptional and compelling circumstances to exercise its discretion and reduce the ban to a fine. They cited Cameron’s clean disciplinary record over his 207-game career as a key factor in their decision.

As a result, Cameron will be able to play in Brisbane’s upcoming important clash against Geelong on Saturday night. AFL Chief Executive Andrew Dillon stated that while the league believed a one-game ban was the appropriate sanction, they respected the tribunal’s use of discretion.

Match review officer Michael Christian had initially graded the tackle as careless conduct, medium impact, and high contact – resulting in the one-match ban. However, the tribunal’s decision to convert the ban to a fine was ultimately influenced by Cameron’s previous record and character references from Eddie Betts and an Indigenous elder.

While the outcome could potentially set a precedent for future cases, Dillon did not directly address this in his statement. However, he did mention that the AFL would assess whether character references should be a factor in tribunal guidelines during the end-of-season review.

The decision to give Cameron special consideration was noteworthy, especially as the AFL has been focused on penalizing actions that could lead to head injuries or concussions. In the past, the league faced backlash for a similar situation in 2017 involving Bachar Houli, prompting an appeal due to a perceived lenient penalty based on character references.

Despite this recent decision, the AFL’s stance on maintaining player safety remains a key priority, and they will continue to review and refine their disciplinary processes to ensure fair and consistent outcomes.

Continue Reading

Sports

‘Easy decision’: Maxwell on indefinite leave from IPL

Published

on

‘Easy decision’: Maxwell on indefinite leave from IPL

IPL Glenn Maxwell has taken indefinite leave from the Indian Premier League after a dire start to the tournament with Royal Challengers Bengaluru.

Maxwell asked RCB’s captain Faf du Plessis and coaching staff to drop him after he managed only 32 runs across his first six knocks this tournament, 28 of those coming in the one hit-out.

RCB are on a five-game losing streak and sit last on the ladder as the tournament approaches its halfway point.

“After the first few games hadn’t gone to plan personally for me, it was a pretty easy decision,” Maxwell told reporters.

“I went to (du Plessis) and the coaches last game and said it was time to probably try someone else. I have been in this situation before in the past, where you can keep playing and dig yourself into a hole.

“Now is actually the best time to give myself a mental and physical break.

“My personal results have reflected the results we have had. I felt like I wasn’t contributing in a positive way and it felt like, with the position we find ourselves at the table, to give someone else the opportunity.”

The dry spell comes less than two months out from the T20 World Cup in North America.

Australia are plotting to improve on an underwhelming finish at the 2022 edition, when the hosts failed to advance to the knockout stage.

Prior to a middling Twenty 20 International series against New Zealand, Maxwell had enjoyed a stellar T20 summer.

He whacked an unbeaten 120 from 55 balls against West Indies in January, his highest score in a T20I since September 2016, having also guided Australia to victory in the third T20I of the India series with 104 not out last November.

But Maxwell’s IPL campaign began with a first-ball duck against Chennai Super Kings, with two more ducks following and only one score above four runs.

“It has been a pretty tough struggle, given my body is on the wrong side of 30. I think that physical and mental toll probably just wore me down a little bit,” Maxwell said of his campaign thus far.

Elsewhere, a brutal century by Travis Head blasted Sunrisers Hyderabad back into the Indian Premier League play-off places in another match for bowlers to forget.

Head’s first T20 hundred was the fourth-fastest in IPL history, made off 39 balls. His 102 was the launchpad for Hyderabad to make 3-287, bettering their own IPL record of 3-277 set earlier this season.

Yet they only won by 25 runs as RCB recovered from 6-181 in the 15th over to finish 7-262. The 549-run aggregate was easily the highest in IPL history.

Head’s blistering ton included eight sixes and nine fours.

The Australian left-hander pounded the fast bowlers, notably New Zealand’s Lockie Ferguson (2-52), who had a forgettable first game of the season as Bengaluru’s ploy not to go with a specialist spinner backfired.

Head raised his half-century off 20 balls and completed his century off the next 19 before finally holing out off Ferguson to mid-off.

“The pitch played beautifully,” he said.

“We thought we had to take the license to go.”

Of his own batting he added: “It’s not the prettiest thing in the world but I’m pleased with how I struck the ball today.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Tszyu wants rematch after cruel Fundora defeat

Published

on

Tszyu wants rematch after cruel Fundora defeat

Tim Tszyu is determined to seek redemption after his heartbreaking defeat at the hands of Sebastian Fundora in Las Vegas. The Australian boxer, who suffered his first loss in 25 fights, is eager to enact a rematch clause to face Fundora once again and reclaim his world title.

Tszyu’s plans for global boxing domination were put on hold as Fundora emerged victorious in a split decision, leaving Tszyu without his WBO super welterweight belt and missing out on a chance to claim the vacant WBC strap at T-Mobile Arena. Despite the setback, Tszyu remains undeterred and is ready to step back into the ring for a shot at redemption.

The fight took a turn for the worse for Tszyu at the end of the second round when he walked into Fundora’s elbow, resulting in a severe cut on his head that impaired his vision for the remainder of the match. Despite the challenges, Tszyu showed resilience and determination throughout the fight, earning praise for his warrior spirit.

Although Tszyu acknowledged Fundora’s skills and the difficulties posed by his height advantage and southpaw stance, he expressed no regrets about taking on the challenge at short notice. In a post-fight press conference with blood still dripping down his face despite receiving 10 stitches, Tszyu stated, “A bit of blood never killed nobody. It was a good war and I started off well.”

Following his defeat, Tszyu has set his sights on a rematch with Fundora to recapture his world title and prove his mettle once again. Despite the potential for a mega-fight against boxing stars like Terence Crawford or Errol Spence Jr, Tszyu’s immediate focus is on avenging his loss and reclaiming his status as a world-class boxer.

With a rematch clause in place, Tszyu’s promoter George Rose is confident that they can secure a second bout with Fundora. Despite Fundora’s newfound status as a unified world champion, Tszyu remains determined to seize the opportunity for a rematch and prove himself in the ring once more.

As Tszyu gears up for a potential rematch with Fundora, the boxing world eagerly awaits the outcome of this highly anticipated showdown. Tszyu’s resilience and determination in the face of adversity have garnered respect and admiration from fans and critics alike, setting the stage for an epic rematch that could redefine his legacy in the sport.

Continue Reading

Trending